Thursday 8 March 2012

Death by Chocolate

I was obviously having an insane chocolate craving when I conjured up this latest cupcake creation.

Chocolate cupcake; filled with Baileys chocolate mousse; topped with whipped cream
[As seen here]

death by chocolate : baileys chocolate mousse cupcakes >> STARTS WITH CUPCAKES

In all honesty, they didn't turn out quite like I imagined.. Somehow I thought they'd be a little prettier... But my trusty taste-testers have given them the thumbs up, so that's always a sign of a successful day in the kitchen.

I used my basic chocolate cake recipe, then when the cupcakes had cooled, I hollowed out the centre of each cake. Then I piped in the choc mousse, topped with the cupcake top, and decorated with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

The chocolate mousse recipe makes enough to fill 24 cupcakes AND still have leftovers for dessert... 
In fact, I highly recommend that you make this mousse even if you don't fill any cupcakes with it. It is delicious.


Ingredients

  • 250g dark chocolate, roughly broken up
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 50ml Baileys liqueur
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 300ml thickened cream, softly whipped


Method


  1. Place chocolate into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir constantly with a metal spoon until smooth. Remove from heat. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, stirring well. Add Baileys. Stir well.
  2. Beat eggwhites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar, a little at a time, beating until thick and glossy. Gently fold half the eggwhite mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold through remaining eggwhite.
  3. Fold cream into chocolate mixture.
  4. Spoon into 6 x 3/4-cup ramekins. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.



xx

1 comment:

  1. "Don't look pretty" - are you kidding? I think they look amazeballs! Wish I could have been one of the taste testers :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...