Sunday 27 May 2012

Pie for Nan

My Nan has been in and out of hospital for months.
It is incredibly sad to watch her suffer from one ailment to the next. 
It is equally as difficult to watch her attempt to eat the disgraceful excuse for food that some hospital kitchens serve to their patients.

When I visit I always take a treat - If I'm short on time it might be a vanilla slice from my bakery of choice, or perhaps a fruit tart from my favourite stall in the Central Markets. If I've got time to prepare something at home it's often melting moments or a cake made with love.

Yesterday I made a Lemon Meringue Pie to take with me on my visit.

Rustic Lemon Meringue Pie


Before you get started - 

Grease pie tin;
Preheat oven to 240 degrees


For the Pastry
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tbsp icing sugar
140g butter
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp water

Combine flour and icing sugar; Using fingers - rub in butter until crumbly;

Add yolk and water;
Knead until smooth dough forms
Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes
then...
Roll pastry into tin;
Blind bake in oven for 15 minutes;
Then bake for a further 10 minutes;
And cool.


For the Lemon Curd
1/2 cup cornflour
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/4 cup water
60g butter
3 egg yolks

To make the filling -
Combine cornflour and sugar in saucepan;
Add juice and water and stir until smooth;
Cook stirring over high heat until mixture boils and thickens;
Remove from heat and stir in butter and yolks;
Return to heat and cook for further 10 minutes.


For the Meringue
1/2 cup caster sugar
4 egg whites

To make meringue - 
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form;
Gradually add sugar;
Beat until sugar dissolves.


Then assemble - 
Spread lemon curd over base;
Cover with meringue;
Bake for 2-5 minutes until top begins to brown.

Cool.

Serve.


Nan loved it. And so did the nurses on duty who also indulged in a slice.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...