Wednesday 24 October 2012

Lemon Delicious

I realised I have been doing a lot of baking these past few weeks when I saw this post quietly waiting to be shared with you all.

It's from 2 weekends ago.

oops!


L E M O N   M E R I N G U E   C U P C A K E S


There's not much to say to this one.

Except - I inherited the wooden tray from my Nan earlier this year and have been dying to use it.

These rustic looking cupcakes provided the perfect opportunity.

The tray itself doesn't have any significant history (that I know of). But in the days after her death, as we quietly (eerily) packed up her belongings, it caught my eye and I knew she would be delighted that I take it to use in my own kitchen.


Unfortunately, my photography does not do it justice...



lemon delicious : LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKES >> STARTS WITH CUPCAKES
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes



The Cupcake >

100g unsalted butter, softened
185g caster sugar
2 eggs
200g self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk
rind of 1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 180C
Beat butter, sugar and lemon rind until pale;
Add eggs, one at a time;
Add flour and milk;
Spoon mixture into prepare muffin pans;
Bake for 15-20 minutes;
Cool


The Lemon Curd >

50g cornflour
1/2 cup water
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup caster sugar
4 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringues)

Combine the cornflour, water, lemon juice and half the sugar in a saucepan;
Whisk to stir over medium heat for 4 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens;
Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for a further 1 minute;
Remove from heat;
Whisk in butter and egg yolks;
Cool completely.


The Meringue >

4 egg whites
1 cup caster sugar

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form;
Gradually add caster sugar;
Continue beating until sugar has disolved


The Assembly >

Hull the cupcakes with a sharp knife;
Fill with a spoonful of lemon curd;
Pipe meringue onto cupcake;
Place tray of cupcakes under grill for 5 minutes or until golden (watch them like a HAWK!)



xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...