Wednesday 22 April 2015

i support the #selfie

Selfie  [sel-fee]
noun
a photograph that one takes of oneself with a digital camera or a front-facing smartphone, tablet, or webcam, especially for posting on a social-networking or photo-sharing website.

The selfie...
Love 'em; Hate 'em.
Everyone has an opinion.

For the record -

I   S U P P O R T   T H E   # S E L F I E



Sure, it's easy to look down your nose and claim narcissism at those who hold their camera phone aloft and strike a pose..
And of course I think there's a distinct difference between an innocent selfie and a blatant effort at amateur p0rn..

But the selfie appeals to my Type-A personality -
It gives me the ability to appear in photos, on my own terms.

And with the ability to control the angle/my appearance/the filter (!) comes a confidence I had never experienced before.


I T ' S   E M P O W E R I N G


Because (believe it or not) I was once the girl who flat out refused to be in a photo.
In fact, until the rise of the selfie, finding a photo of me other than those mandatory school photos or mother-enforced family snaps is near impossible.

There's a solid chunk of my life when I hid behind the camera.

"Selfies aren’t as simple as self-absorbed snapshots. In documenting ourselves, we’re documenting the ways our most important relationships have shaped us. By documenting ourselves, we’re valuing the intrinsic good that we bring to the lives of others... We’re humans that are loved and love. That make funny jokes, and have good hair sometimes, and make awesome lipstick choices."
-- Meg Keene

‪#‎wellsaid ‪#‎isupporttheselfie ‪#‎proselfie ‪#‎becausegoodlipstickshouldbecelebrated


Scroll through the camera roll on my phone and you'll discover it is full of selfies.
Some document a cute outfit, or capture a good hair day;
There are a good portion in which Miss Emmy plays the selfie game too...
Others are snapped in a moment to later remind me of an event or experience.

My photos document the life I’m living, right in this moment.

To me, that's not narcissism or vanity;
It's the preservation of memories. It's human nature.

And that's why I support the #selfie



xx




Sidenote: If you're looking for an entertaining tv show to binge on this winter -
Check out Selfie.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...